Information technology in R.D.I.
A wide range of hardware and software, developed to support research activities in management, analysis, tabulation and display of Research Program Data, is available within the Institute's advanced computing facilities.
The local area network is organized in three operational domains:
- GIS and Database R&D Domain,
- Regional Development Research Domain, and
- Support Domain
The primary task of the GIS and Database R&D group of the Informatics Laboratory is the design, development and maintenance of the Integrated Statistical and Spatial Database Information System, which combines a powerful database management system with the graphical representation facilities provided by GIS. The outcome of this combination is a user-friendly environment which provide the end users with:
- Rapid access to a very large statistical database.
- Extensive querying facilities.
- Graphical representations of statistical data and regional development indexes through statistical maps, generated at run-time.
- Support for decision-making procedures, through What-If Analysis tools based on statistical and spatial data.
- Data import / export, through ODBC, with the most popular RDBMS (Oracle, SyBase, Microsoft SQLServer).
- Multi-OS support (currently Windows 95 & NT, development for HP-UX, Linux and X-Windows)
In order to support application development tasks, GIS and Database R&D group of the Informatics Laboratory is a member of the Microsoft Development Network, the GNU Organization, and the WINE (WINdows Emulator) Development Group.
Moreover, Informatics Laboratory provides the researchers and post-graduate students with a wide range of generic and customized applications, facilities and tools to fulfil the various and complex needs of regional development research, while continuously tracks the major information sources worldwide (academic institutions, public domain libraries, electronic publishing sites etc.) to keep the Institute's knowledge bases as up-to-date as possible.
Researchers are provided with an extended range of facilities, included:
- Database, Statistical, and Geographical Data Processing Support
- Office automation and DTP management facilities
- Mail and file exchange facilities
- Gateways to the Regional and Urban Development Department LAN, and to the Internet through Internet Node located in Panteion University of Athens
- Educational applications (Databases, Multimedia applications, Tutorials)
- FTP facilities for researchers and post-graduate students